soft.and.gentle

"If I had to choose a way to die, it'd be with you, in a goosebump infested embrace."

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

6:04 PM

I was sitting in biology 101 today...thoughts drifting, as they always do in that class. At first I thought about the usual..you know..."Driving long sharp nails through my eyes would be more enjoyable then this.." or "Does the person in front of me know that their dandruff is completely monopolizing their scalp..." but then my thoughts became more abstract. I don't know what must have triggered the thoughts that soon drifted my way, but none the less, as soon as they start coming there's no hope for returning to the chemical composition of atoms aka: lecture currently taking place. Here it is...stay with me:

What Would Jesus Do? Yes, good question, What Would Jesus Do? Now, I know I am not the only one who remembers those appalling bracelets. Who could forget such a travesty?! How come the bracelet makers didn't ask themselves What Would Jesus Do before releasing those awful, little things to the public. I am POSITIVE that Jesus wouldn't want his name turned into such a commercial enterprise. It is really sad. I mean really, EVERYONE had one. From the little Muslim boy next door, to the town harlot who received it as "payment", to the 30 year old stoner who still lives in his parents' basement. Hell, even I had one.
It's like Jesus was a trend, for like what...six months! It seems so sacrilegious. No one cared what it freakin' stood for. WWJD could have meant anything and people would have worn it, just because everyone else did. And where is Jesus now, he's no longer on people's wrist. He should have never been in the first place. Jesus isn't an accessory you take off before you get in the shower or before you go to bed. Jesus isn't a trend that lasts a couple months, and once the "cool" people stop acting like Jesus freaks, everyone else does too.
Lastly, they were atrocious. A horrible, horrible insult to the fashion industry. It's like when bar codes were huge for tattoos. Who the hell wants a bar code on their ass and who the hell wants 10 different colors of the WWJD bracelet just so it matches every shirt you own. Girls would wear five at once, like what...does that mean you love Jesus five times more then the girl that's wearing only one because her mom spent the welfare check on booze? NO, it's because at that point in time it looks cute with your new Abercrombie miniskirt and halter top. Jesus was just a brand, like Tommy, or Abercrombie, or American Eagle.
I am sure that people have long ago tossed their bracelets into the garbage and moved on to the next trend. Maybe there could be a What Would Buddha Do? And we can all act like Buddha is the best trend ever!

// posted by Monday

©2004 Megan Flynn